Crime Against Humanity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RonPrice

RonPrice

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern Empty
PostSubject: Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern   Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern Icon_minitimeThu 27 Mar - 4:48

In the Greek tradition the Goddess of Epic Poetry was Calliope, one of the nine sisters of the Muses. Calliope and her sister Muses, not a part of popular culture and slipping into some degree of obscurity among many of the multitude of cultural elites in our global world, were seen traditionally, at least in the west and among its cultural literati, as a source of artistic and creative inspiration. Calliope was the mother of Orpheus who was known to have a keen understanding of both music and poetry. We know little about Calliope, as we know little about the inspiration of the Muses, at least in the Greek tradition.

In the young and developing artistic tradition and its many sources of creative expression among adherents of the Baha’i Faith, on the other hand, although gods and goddesses play no role, holy souls “who have remained faithful unto the covenant of God” can be a leaven that leavens “the world of being” and furnishes “the power through which the arts and wonders of the world are made manifest.” In addition, among a host of other inspirational sources,the simple expression ‘Ya’Baha’ul’Abha’ brings “the Supreme Concourse to the door of life” and “opens the heavens of mysteries, colours and riddles of life,” at least that is one view. Much more could be said about inspiration from a Baha’i perspective, but this is sufficient for now in this brief description of the origins and purpose of this my poetic oeuvre.

Mary Gibson emphasizes in her study of Ezra Pound’s epic entitled Epic Reinvented: Ezra Pound and the Victorians that one question was at the centre of The Cantos. It was the "question of how beauty and power, passion and order can cohere." This question was one of many that concerned Pound in the same years that Bahai Administration, the precursor of a future World Order, was coming to assume its earliest form in the last years of the second decade of the 20th century and the early years of the third, a form that was slowly coming to manifest those qualities Pound strove in vain to find in a modern politico-philosophy. The wider world did not yet see these qualities in the as yet early phases of the development of this new System. But in my mind and heart, and certainly in my poetry, I found these qualities and gave them expression. I do not address an unusually cultivated class as Pound did leaving most readers feeling they were faced with a terminus of incoherent arrogance; nor is my work a game as Pound’s Cantos appeared to be to many readers with its absense of direction, but like Pound my work was that of a voyageur who was not sure where his work would end up. My work has been, like Pound’s, thrown up on a shore that I certainly had not planned to visit. Unlike Pound I do not yet have many enthusiasts or detractors of my work. And I may never have. Unlike Pound, my work, my epic, does not possess a disordered, indeed, chaotic structure and is not filled with unfathomable historical allusions; nor do I see my work as dull and verbose, although others may. If Pound’s was a “plotless epic with flux” mine has both plot and flux, but the accretion of detail and the piling up of memory on memory may, in the end, lose most readers. For now, I must live with this possibility.

There is no Christian myth to guide the reader through Pound’s epic, as there was through Dante’s Commedia six centuries before. Pound’s Cantos tell the story of the education of Ezra Pound as my epic tells the story of my education. In my case there is a guide, the Baha’i metaphorical interpretation of physical reality or, to put it simply, the Baha’i myth. At the heart, the centre, of my own epic, then, is a sense of visionary certitude, derived from my belief in this embryonic World Order of Baha’u’llah, that a cultural and political coherence will increase in the coming decades and centuries around the sinews of this efflorescing Order. My work is serious but not solemn and, like Eliot, I am not sure of the permanent value of what I have written. As Eliot put it: “I may have wasted my time and messed up my life for nothing.” No man knoweth what his own end shall be, nor what the end of his writing shall be either, I hasten to add.

The poet Wallace Stevens’ expressed his sense of the epic “as a poem of the mind in the act of finding what will suffice. ” What Stevens says here certainly gives expression to what is involved in this process, this sense of epic, for me. I am involved in the act of creating a prose-poem of the mind and trying to find out as I go along “what will suffice” to express what is in my mind and my heart, what is part and parcel of my beliefs and what occupies the knowledge base of the Baha’i Faith. This process is, without doubt, at the centre of this conceptual, this epistemological, this ontological, experiment of mine. This epic is an experimental vehicle containing open-ended autobiographical sequences. It is a sometimes softly, indirectly didactic, sometimes not-so-softly and quite directly didactic, intellectual exploration with lines developing with apparent spontaneity and going in many directions. The overall shape of this work was in no way predetermined. In many respects, both my long poem, the thousands of shorter poems and, indeed, all my writing is purely amateur and speculative philosophy, literary playfulness and autobiographical description that I try to integrate into Baha’i and secular history in a great many ways.....THIS IS ENOUGH FOR NOW, FOR AN INITIAL POST HERE.
-Ron Price, Tasmania Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.on.net/~ronprice/
Kawaii

Kawaii

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2006-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern   Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern Icon_minitimeThu 27 Mar - 12:38

Heille c'est épic en criss comme post.

Quote :
holy souls “who have remained faithful unto the covenant of God”
Je suis certaine que le VNV god > Covenant God coté épiquetude.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lesbianclown
DX

DX

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2006-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern   Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern Icon_minitimeThu 27 Mar - 12:48

On sfait bombarder
Back to top Go down
RonPrice

RonPrice

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern   Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern Icon_minitimeSat 10 May - 10:52

My French is a little rusty since I have not studied it since 1961 and not used it in conversation since 1965(circa)....perhaps I have joined the wrong site. Apologies.-Ron Price, Tasmania Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.on.net/~ronprice/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern   Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Varieties of Poetic Inspiration: Greek and Modern
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Crime Against Humanity :: DISCUSSIONS GÉNÉRALES --- useful or useless things :: Cinéma - Littérature - Design - Fashion - Art-
Jump to: